The deep misty valleys of Chikhaldara has a new shade in every fold unwrapped. Chikhaldara (chikaldara, chikhaldhara) is located in Amaravati district of Vidarbha region. The only hill station in the Vidarbha region offers you an abundance of wildlife, viewpoints, lakes and waterfalls. Chikhaldara has many things to be explored.
It is named after "Keechaka". This is the place where Bheema killed villainous Keechaka and threw him into the valley. It thus came to be known as "Keechakadara" - "Chikhaldara" is its corruption.
Chikhaldara is full of deep valleys, and these valleys are full of velvet mist and majestic trees. Chikhaldara is situated at an altitude of 1,118 m and has the added distinction of being the only coffee-growing area in Maharashtra. Chikhaldara is full of deep valleys, and these valleys are full of velvet mist and majestic trees. All this makes it a very popular summer retreat. With abundance of natural scenery, exciting wildlife, breathtaking waterfalls and a placid lake, the beauty of Chikhaldara is overwhelming. The climate is always breezy and walking on the clouds often becomes a reality.
Places of interest
- Places of interest in and around Chikhaldara are the Melghat Tiger Project, Dhakana-Kolkaz National Park, Hurricane Point, Prospect Point, Devi Point, Gavilgad and Narnala Fort, the Pandit Nehru Botanical Gardens, the Tribal Museum and the Semadoh Lake.
- The Melghat Tiger Project has 82 tigers and also houses other animals like panthers, sloth bears, sambar, wild bear, and wild dogs.
- The scenic beauty of the misty mountains with rich variety of flora could be observed from Hurricane Point, Prospect Point, and Devi Point.
- Excursions to Gavilgad and Narnala Fort are also memorable ones. The mystery of nature unfolds itself in every twists and turns of the hilly way.
- Oct – Feb: Cool and crisp. Temp in Dec-Jan Period is well below 10 deg C. Winter Clothing is necessary.
- March – Mid June: Warm in day and cool in the evenings. Comfortable summer clothing. But carrying a jacket/shawl is advisable for nights.
- July – Sept: Monsoon Time. Carrying rain gear is recommended. Also advisable to carry warm clothing for evening.
Keeping in mind that it is a forest area, wearing bright clothing is not recommended. Earthy/pastel shades are best suited and especially necessary for the wild-life Safari.